Monday, December 6, 2010

Review: Haus Of Gloi Part 2

After trying the majority of the Haus of Gloi products I was very disappointed and expressed it in my former review. There were a couple of soap scents left that I didn't cover (Satyr, Absinthe) and in this post I will be going through all the scents in depth (some extras on the ones I've covered) as well as extra pictures. 


What I bought - To recap (prices in US dollar):
Elevenses soap $5.50
Absinthe soap $5.50
Maedwe soap  $6.50
Satyr soap  $5.50
Lassi lotion 6 oz $9.00
Picaroon lotion 2 oz $3.50
Imp lotion 2 oz $3.50
Erzebet perfume sample $3.00
Subtotal $42
Shipping $22 - $2 = $20

Soap scents (I've added more to each scent so read them all if you can =D):
  • Maedwe: Described as "Pesky dandelions, red clover patches, creeping sweetpea blooms and the dense afternoon haze of blossoming fruit trees." 
  • My thoughts: thought I would like it because it's floral. When I used it it lacked complexity and ended up smelling like a generic soap. Couldn't differentiate or figure out what was dandelion, clover, sweet pea, etc. Didn't smell any fruity scents, just floral. Floral, but without depth. I felt that it wasn't strong enough too. *made a mistake on my last post. The cost was $6.50, not $5.50 as it was a limited seasonal item, and well it doesn't really help their case.

Back Label of Maedwe, looks pretty and appropriately labelled
  • Elevenses: Described as "Tiny, little, fluffy orange cakes, sugar coated toasty almonds and a wee steaming cup of black tea!" 
  • My thoughts: Smelt quite spicy, I suspect from the black tea scent. A little overwhelming (still I find that this soap was not scented enough in general) because the smell was not what I expected and I could not smell any of the orange or almond which was what I was looking forward to! I have to say that it was still very soapy and would have liked those 'minor' scents to be stronger. Again disappointing since I like nutty and citrus scents.
  • Lavender: Described as "Straight French lavender and a heaping spoonful of pure muscadovo sugar!"
  • My thoughts: I was wary of this scent because I hate the smell of lavender. But I tried it anyway and was impressed that the scent was not too overwhelming (it would normally make me feel sick). It left a scent after that would linger somewhat afterwards. Definitely had the distinct lavender scent but I couldn't really smell the sugar.
  • Satyr: Described as "Absolutely fiendish creature! And quite frolicsome: Italian blood orange drizzled with blackened vanilla."
  • My thoughts: This has got to be one of the least if not the least scented soap. Couldn't smell that much of anything. I could pick up a little of vanilla but none of the scents stood out. It wasn't too soapy but it wasn't really scented. Seemed that there wasn't or very little of the blood orange. I love citrus and this was so disappointing. One of the important things to note is that this soap contains activated charcoal (unlike any of the other scents) which may be the reason why the soap is black as coal! I find that is does seem to cleanse better than the other soaps with gentle removal of body oils and would be my pick for effectiveness (certainly not for the scent though).
  • Absinthe: Described as "Hauntingly herbal. Wormwood and anise swim in a creamy green sea of lemon balm, green lemon, soft glowing mints, a hefty lump of sugar and the tiniest drop of suggestive deep green moss."
  • My thoughts: This is another standout product but unlike Satyr it is for it's scent that seemed to make itself scarce in most of the other scents. I can definitely sense the refreshing mint which I find surprisingly enjoyable considering I don't like mint, and there is a strong whiff of herbal scents, lemon grass (as in lemon + grass, moss or not it smells slightly earthy), all at the right strength. There is complexity! I've missed that in all the other soaps unfortunately. For the scent choose this one!
With all of them I find that Haus of Gloi hasn't really perfected IMO balancing of scents for the soaps. All of the soaps with the exception of lavender were not scented strongly enough. Every one of the scents had difficulty trying to express every layer of scents in them like the citrus and nutty scents. Being not that scented is one of the factors making the layers difficult to differentiate.
In the picture are the tops of Absinthe, Satyr and Elevenses. Some of them look quite pretty. Absinthe has gold flecks on the top of them that look very luxe. Satyr has a nice orangy top that contrasts with the deep black of the base. Elevenses and Maedwe (below and in first two photos of post) is pretty much same throughout.



The quality of the soaps are discussed in my former post.

Now the lotion. I forgot to show you what the consistency looked like. The label looks great for the ones that were labelled! The consistency is quite watery/runny. Holds up like a cream but isn't thick and buttery. I find it ironic that the lotion and soaps are polar opposites. Lotions are way too scented and soaps not scented enough.


For the scents, I truly can't be bothered to smell them and see what they are like because they are so strong that I don't want to be near them. Quickly I'll describe what Lassi smells like to me. 

  • Lassi - described as "Fresh mango cream, orange blossom water, black ginger to ground, splash of green tea and a soft squeeze of lime juice". 
  • My thoughts: Basically sweet, sweet, very sweet...somewhat fruity, a little sharp with the fruit, slightly mango. Hard to discern between scents. No ginger or specifically individual lime, mango or orange blossom. I won't try it to tell. I don't like the stink.
  • Imp described as "Peculiar passion fruit mingling with sun cured apricots, perfectly pink grapefruit juice and innocent whispers of wet mimosa blooms."
  • My thoughts: DID NOT HAVE A LABEL!!! I gave this one away so I can't smell it but I remember gagging at the strength and sweetness. I remember it being very fruity but not very discernible.
  • Picaroon - described as "Sun scorched mahogany bough crusted with a crystalline sea spray! Faint plundered rare spices. Lemongrass, coconuts, fine Mexican lime and Haitian bay rum."
  • My thoughts - Gave this one away. Salty and smells of the sea. Can't remember if they smelt like any of the food or wood related scents. Smelt like a generic ocean scent like those liquid soaps. Strong!
To be fair I haven't bought the other products like the sugar scrub and bathing salt. I'm not really enticed by those items but would love to try them. I can only say that the soaps and lotions really do bring down everything. Seeing as browsing their site is like lethal eye candy I may find it hard to refrain from buying again. Please warn me!

Love, Porcelaine.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that sucks :( I've only tried the sugar scrubs and lotions, and found the scents to be really hit and miss. I remember one of them literally made me feel sick, but I can't remember which one it was! I liked the scent of the lotions I got (Vice and Twice is Nice) but they feel greasy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ SilhouetteScreams: I agree though I've felt it to be more miss than hit unfortunately! I really wanted to like them especially because nearly everyone was raving about them but I'm quite shocked with what I got for the price. If the lotions were not so strong then even if I didn't like the scents I might still have used them but it was too overpowering.

    ReplyDelete

Have Opinions? Let them out! Have Questions? I'm here to help!