Sunday, March 27, 2011

Green Tea Icecream - From a Packet? Seriously?

I've never been a fan of green tea.
Green tea mochi, green tea icecream, green tea cakes, green tea itself!
But as I passed through an Asian grocer I was intrigued by a packet filled with Japanese writing, it's contents a packet of powdered Green Tea Icecream!


I virtually braked and double backed when my eyes caught sight of this!
Make icecream? Really? And all out of a packet?
I was SOLD but also SKEPTICAL!


So I decided to buy it and try it out. $3.80? I could do that and not lose too much. It's always worth trying.
Because I always wanted to make my own icecream!
But let me repeat: I do not like Green Tea. The whole evil plan was to make this, see if it worked, and if so to destroy the green tea flavour with my own concoction of evil ingredients! 
That was my evil plan and this was my experiment!

So above you can see what this sachet basically amounts to: a packet of green tea dust.
The instructions indicate to add milk to the mix (or water but that's not nearly as fun!)


After that, using an electric mixer, blend till nice and thick (about 10 mins). Below is a picture taken while mixing. I should probably explain what is happening with my new found knowledge of food (from TV, how unreliable)!

From what I know there are a few things happening originating from the ingredients in this concoction.Firstly it's the motion of adding in the air from the mixer. If you continuously and vigorously mix this mixture you are introducing air and splitting the mixture to create smaller and smaller pockets of air. So the mixture appears to expand and lighten.


As you can see the mix is getting thick and lush...There two important ingredients contributing to this. Secondly is the thickener. In this case it is added dextrin in the ingredients used to provide a thick texture and also the powdered statch syrup. This or some other ingredient might also be the stabiliser for the icecream acting to hold and keep the texture consistent and unchanged through freezing.
Yum, starch............?


Thirdly is the added emulsifier. The emulsifier is important in keeping the mixture thick so it doesn't collapse. It holds onto the different parts of the mixture to keep it whole, the powder and milk together, and probably adds to keep the bubbles from disappearing.


End result? 
Honestly, unimpressive. There are still ice crystals everywhere...If there was stabiliser it wasn't doing a good job at keeping the water molecules as small as possible. Despite this, as an out of the packet icecream without the use of an icecream maker it's a job reasonably well done. You definitely couldn't achieve the texture of this under normal circumstances but what is also disappointing for normal attempts at making icecream is that it is clear you can't make a decent one unless you add a heap of god knows what into your icecream. I'm not saying it's harmful but I can't get those ingredients at the supermarket or greengrocer.

Enjoy! Sure looks like icecream....

As a icecream base? 
It might be possible to make different flavours without the use of an icecream maker.
But I do wonder how it will react with strong acids like citrus.
That's a whole new experiment waiting to happen.

What do you think? Was this successful? Would you make this?

Love, Porcelaine.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I want to try and make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lil: Definitely have a go at it. I'm sure green tea is your thing :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the super late comment but reading this made me think of this recipe for ice cream without an ice cream machine:

    http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2010/07/how-to-make-ice-cream-without-an-ice-cream-maker-the-food-lab.html

    They went to heaps of trouble to figure out the best way to go about it. I have always wanted to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sending me that link and no problem at all, never too late! I might try this method since I'm scared to buy an ice cream machine that I may only use a few times a year.

    ReplyDelete

Have Opinions? Let them out! Have Questions? I'm here to help!