Saturday, July 2, 2011

Untraditional Tiramisu Basilica (?) Recipe! A twist.

I was starting to get a sweet tooth the day I made this. I had to retry an old recipe but I wanted to change it up, make a bit of a presentation and show a different way of doing it.
The cream I made was the only cream I would eat a spoon of!
Here's my recipe for Honey & Orange Tiramisu Basilica =P!


You will need (1 serving)
  1. 1 heaped tsp of Instant Coffee
  2. Boiling water to fill a couple cm in a shallow dish
  3. 2 1/4 Savoirardi biscotti (biscuits). It MUST be these, no other will work properly!
  4. 1/2 tsp honey
  5. 1/4 cup of icing sugar (can be used to replace honey or left out)
  6. 1 tablespoon Cream cheese (preferably room temperature)
  7. 50 ml thickened cream
  8. 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
  9. 2 tablespoons Orange juice
  10. Cocoa to sprinkle
What to do!
  1. First put the cream cheese in the bowl. If it's room temperature it will help loosen it up and you can microwave it a little bit before it separates. The alternative is getting spreadable cream cheese. The cream cheese is a cheaper option to mascarpone. Mix it with an electric mixer and if it's a little too thick add a tiny bit of cream at a time till it's somewhat smooth.
  2. Pour the rest of your thickened cream in a mixing bowl as well as vanilla, orange juice (which I didn't =P). If you're like me and you get the long life type you MUST put this in the fridge (I've many a time thrown away my cream thinking it was a long life thing and that only fresh would work but it's all in the temperature!). Get it as cold as you can without freezing it. Mix it up to get a smooth and fluffy mixture but don't overwhip.
  3. If you have trouble with incorporating the thick cream cheese with the cream I'd sieve the whipped cream to stop the chunks getting in. If it's for yourself then you might not mind!
  4. In another bowl put the instant coffee and boiling water in and mix until dissolved.
  5. Now construct your tiramisu (much like building a house =P)! Put the cream in a piping bag (disposable ones are preferred). Pipe a strip of cream in a circular motion to the side of the centre of the plate. Dip one biscuit in the coffee water (be very careful not to burn yourself) for a couple seconds each side and turning them over, and quickly position on the bed of cream. Repeat the piping of the cream on top of the biscuit, lay another biscuit, pipe another row of cream, and then make a row of little drops of cream on the top layer of cream.
  6. To finish dip a teaspoon of honey and make teardrop shapes in front of your Colosseum/Basilica! Do the same on the opposite side with your cream.
  7. Bash up a 1/4 of the biscuit to breadcrumb texture and sprinkle on your cream teardrop.
  8. Sift a bit of cocoa on top of your grand building. I couldn't find my cocoa and looked at drinking chocolate which was too powdery and light. My alternative? Milo!
  9. Best put in the fridge for 1/2 hour to 1 hour before serving.
Love Porcelaine.

5 comments:

  1. Omg let's do this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lil: I think I need to do macarons again and sourdough bread first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *drools* what an interesting take on Tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete

Have Opinions? Let them out! Have Questions? I'm here to help!