Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review: Illamasqua Cream Blusher in Brazen

Not long ago I bought Illamasqua's Alter Ego Mystery Box and in a post I immediately addressed some of the controversy of whether the products were new or old or mouldy, etc. 
I didn't yet dig into my products and have loads of blushes but after much contemplating I've finally got the chance to use Illamasqua's Cream Blusher in Brazen, a very delicious bright red!


When I first received Brazen it was dripping with surface oil likely from the product sweating wax beads but melted to oil in hot weather.
Later when I came to use it the oil gelled to the side of the blush but posed no problem.


A lot of people were scared when they saw this blush in their box and people have speculated that these bright blushes weren't popular and that that's why it was in the box.
I'm quite the opposite, I love bright and deep blushes!


A tap on the finger on the solid cream was all I needed to get lots of bright red blush on, enough for both cheeks to have a subtle flush or one reasonably bright cheek. Brazen is a mid toned red pulling neither warm nor cool but is affected by your undertone (warm for me). It has versatile build of colour and ease of blending so there's nothing to be afraid of! The only problem is that the blush fades easily. Setting powder may help.


I have a confession to make. Brazen is my first cream blush. I'm no stranger to cream products or blushes but I used to never use blush. This summer I've really got the hang of using blush building from light pink blushes and now onto this bright specimen! 
Why hadn't I used blush? My bone structure didn't suit blushes, my face was too round (I used to be fatter...) and the traditional method of applying blush to the apples of my cheeks made me look like a clown!

What changed? Lately I've developed a good foundation routine and contour my face regularly. I apply blush differently. After contouring the hollow under my cheekbones I blend Brazen on the outer edge of my face just above the hollow but not on the peak of my cheeks. It acts like another layer of contouring but looks more glowing than imposing and clown like!

If you bought this in Myer in Australia the price is an expensive $28! But considering that you only use a touch or two of blush everyday potentially lasting years it's cheaper per use than most blushes.

How do you find bright blushes? Do you rather buy less pigmented shades or blend bright shades for subtle looks? Or do you avoid blush altogether?

Love Porcelaine.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a freakin' awesome colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, It's a very juicy bright red!

    ReplyDelete

Have Opinions? Let them out! Have Questions? I'm here to help!